Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Keeping a Tournament Journal

Over the weekend I played in my first event of the year: The Joss Northeast Tour stop at Diamond Eight Billiards in Latham, NY.

I want to make the best of my time this year. In order to do that, I need to work hard to correct my mistakes so that I don't end up making the same ones over and over.

I've decided to keep a tournament journal. This is something that I have done in the past, usually after having a bad tournament. Admittedly, this is why I am starting it again now!

Here's what my entry from this weekend looks like:

1/19/2008

Joss – Diamond Eight Billiards, Latham, NY (0 and 2)

Hitting the ball very well, but not focusing well.

Need to “throw out an anchor”: missed opportunities in both matches to take early lead.

Need to separate decision making from execution and give decisions a fraction of a second more so that I can go at the shot with 100% confidence.

Felt nervous – try the usual remedies for this: meditation, emotional control and disciplined thinking.

Need to eat better on tournament day.

Attitude still needs work: I need to have a collection of phrases that I am allowed to say after a match and not deviate into whining or excuses.

Need to keep working on break, but it is getting better - slowly.


Things to practice:

Combinations
Jacked-up rail draw shot that I missed in match one
Meditation
Post-match phrases
Separating decisions from execution
Break


Things to do to prepare for this weekend in Atlantic City:

Pack groceries so that I can eat well.
Re-read sections of “Mental Toughness Training”
Do something fun (non pool-related) to boost my positive energy.


So, that is what my next week is going to look like. For "something fun" I think I'll go ice skating. I was a serious skater when I was a kid and now I go when I need a pick me up. I can skate so fast it feels like I'm flying. It's pure joy.

I am going to be playing in the Blaze Pro-Am Tour Finale at Atlantic City Billiards this Saturday. If you are in the area, come by and sweat some matches!

-LIZ

2 comments:

GMAC said...

I hope we draw each other in ac we have to match up in a tourney. GL this weekend and great site. I'm glad you have been coming around it makes me try so much harder. I love your dedication.

Liz Ford said...

Thanks GMac - is that like kPod?
Back to work tomorrow...