Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Little Vac'ay and Some Site Feedback



Hey everyone, I am here in sunny Riverside, California, spending some time with my in-laws, recuperating from the WPBA San Diego Classic. I felt great at this event but I had some pool-fortune giveneth and some pool-fortune takeneth-ed away. With a bit of luck I emerged victorious in a well-played hill-hill match in the first round only to end up on the other side of that luck in another well-played hill-hill match on the B-side. Just one of those opportunities <...gritting teeth...> to pay more attention to the positives (the quality of my play and valuable lessons learned) and less attention to the results <...bile rising in throat>.

In other news, it's great to know that there are folks out there reading my sporadic musings, even if 75% of them are related to me.

Here is an e-mail I received recently from my friend Bill*:

"When I was a boy, I somehow, and purely accidentally ended up with two t-shirts that had cartoon [tigers] on them. One weekend where I visited [my cousin], again purely coincidentally, I brought both of them and wore them. The [family] became convinced that I was into [tiger] t-shirts. So they bought me some. Then, since I had a bunch of them, I wore them, and then other people observed that I was "into [tiger] t-shirts" and so they bought me more. Eventually, virtually every t-shirt I owned had [tigers] on it. Seriously. It turns out that there are a lot of [tiger] t-shirts out there, and eventually I had an army of relatives who would see any [tiger] t-shirt and think "Hey, doesn't little [Bill] like to wear these things? I think I'll buy it for him!"

Eventually, the idea that I liked [tiger] t-shirts spread and morphed into the idea that I like all-things-[tiger]. So people would buy me [tiger] figurines, [tiger] drinking glasses, [tiger] stuffed animals, etc. This perception that I was into [tigers] survived well into college, where a lady friend of mine once sent me a beautiful glass [tiger] sculpture from Spain, carefully packaged and shipped. To this day, looking around the house there are probably 5 or 10 vestiges of my supposed [tiger]-fancy that are still lying around. My step-family still gets me [tiger] calendars for Christmas.
I guess what I'm saying is, be careful about accidentally giving people the wrong idea about your shirt preferences. It can quickly spiral out of your control.

-[Bill]"


*
all names and animals have been changed to protect the family involved

-moo

No comments: